29th day of the year according to the Gregorian calendar. There are 336 days left until the end of the year.
Today is the International Day without the Internet, the Day of Mobilization Against the Threat of Nuclear War, the Day of Heroes of Krut in Ukraine and Petro Polukorm. UNIAN will tell what each of these holidays means and what signs it is important not to miss on this date.
What a holiday today – we celebrate January 29
International day without internet – celebrated every year on the last Sunday of January. The celebration was invented to distract people from social networks, smartphones and the World Wide Web for at least one day. To celebrate the holiday, you don’t need much – to deprive yourself of access to the Internet and devote the day to family or hobbies.
Day of mobilization against the threat of nuclear war celebrated since January 29, 1985. On this date, the Delhi Declaration was adopted, the essence of which is the cessation of the race for nuclear weapons and superiority, as well as the gradual disposal of nuclear weapons and, subsequently, the leveling of the nuclear threat. Such a holiday is important because we all know about the consequences of a nuclear war – all living things are destroyed for hundreds of kilometers, and creatures affected by radiation suffer from fatal diseases and gene mutations.
Memorial Day of the heroes of Krut – in Ukraine, this holiday reminds of the events that took place in 1918. Then about 400 soldiers from the detachment of Kyiv cadets and Cossacks of the “Free Cossacks” opposed the unit of the Red Guard, which was estimated at 4,000 soldiers. The Ukrainian defenders won a victory, forcing the USSR to stop its attack on the independent UNR.
What a church holiday today – the day of worshiping the chains of the Apostle Peter
Orthodox believers celebrate this event on January 29 in a new style. According to tradition, around the year 42, the apostle Peter was imprisoned for preaching about Jesus Christ. The prisoner was shackled with two iron chains, but on the night before the trial, the Angel removed the shackles from the saint and took him out of prison. Christians later found these chains and kept them as evidence of a miracle. Believers also came to the chains, asking for healing of the disease – the shrine fulfilled the request.
Commemorative events on January 29
In history, this day was remembered by several important situations, for example:
- 1616 – Dutch navigators J. Lemer and V. Schouten discovered the southernmost point of South America – Cape Horn;
- 1804 – the opening of Kharkiv National University named after V. N. Karazin, one of the oldest universities in Eastern Europe;
- 1886 – the birthday of the world’s first gasoline car;
- 1896 – the American physicist E. Grubbe was the first in the world to use radioactive radiation to treat cancer;
- 1927 – a hotel with bathrooms appeared for the first time in England.
Signs and folk beliefs on January 29
In the national calendar, the day of worshiping honest chains is celebrated as the “Petro Polukorm” holiday. Our ancestors said: “When there is a broom and a fire, there will be bread for Peter.”
In order not to anger the saint, on this date you should not:
- insult and abuse domestic animals;
- tell someone about problems in the family;
- work with sharp and sharp objects;
- borrow money and lend it.
Also, on January 29, you need to pay attention to the weather signs:
- blowing a blizzard – the summer will be rainy;
- frost on this date – the summer will be dry;
- birds fly low – to precipitation;
- the north wind blows – to cold weather and severe frosts.
As a rule, on this day, the ice begins to break, so fishermen should be careful when catching fish.
Name day on January 29
Today people with the names Peter, Maxim, Ivan, George, Leonilla (Neonilla) celebrate their day of the angel.